Tuesday, July 19, 2011

A List of Things I Love About the 2011 Pirates

(numbered, but in no particular order)

1. SELLOUTS! - It was a no brainer that the Boston and Philadelphia series would be sellouts. But the team took those two series and the city has taken notice. I'm glad it will be hard for me to find tickets to weekend games for the rest of the year. I can't make it to as many games as I'd like, so I'm glad people are buying up tickets. I also remember early in the year when people laughed at the size of the crowds. Not so much now...

2. Andrew McCutchen - We've known about him for a long time, but it's been a blast watching him turn into a star.

3. Joel Hanrahan - I actually feel bad for the other team when he comes in for the 9th. Vroom vroom!

4. Jeff Karstens - Just look at the NL ERA leaders. How?!

5. Stroll Inn - I actually had to look it up yesterday because I couldn't remember what bar the boycott was for. Winning caused that. Guess that promotion isn't doing so well.

6. TRADE TALK - Right now, as we speak, someone somewhere in the city of Pittsburgh is discussing who the Pirates should trade for. Not trade away. Not get for. Who the Pirates should add to this team to make it better. I've never been able to be a part of that.

7. ESPN - I've been cynical about the World Wide Leader's baseball coverage, as I'm sure you have, but how great is it to turn on ESPN and see Pirates highlights? This has nothing to do with validation, as some suggest. Until I went out into the real world I watched Baseball Tonight religiously. Unless the Pirates did something amazing or were involved in something really dumb, they rarely lead off any ESPN show. They were often the butt of jokes or ended the show. Now after Pirates post game, I can turn on ESPN and see the Pirates praised and doing something good for a change.

8. An Acutal Bandwagon! - I don't care how long you've been a fan. 40 years, 40 days, 40 hours, whatever. I'm glad you joined us! Let's go Bucs!

9. Jose Veras - Love him or hate him, his appearances are often noteworthy. He got a lot of flack for what happened in Houston, but do you remember what happened vs Big Papi? It was the most intense matchup this year, bar none. Go back and watch it and try not get amped. I dare you.

10. Lacee Collins - I often cringe when she's on the TV, but some of her segments have been classics. Interview with the conductor? Uncle Mike's Peninsula? The guys making a sign at the game? Awesome!

11. Pedro Alvarez Demoted - This might sound odd, but I bet it took a lot of balls for Huntington do this. I saw a lot of people say that this team goes where Pedro takes them before the season. He's in Indy and the team is still winning. It's also a sign that the Pirates felt comfortable enough to let him work on things in Indy. Last year and earlier this year we didn't have that luxury. Brandon Wood, Josh Harrison, and Chase d'Arnaud aren't replacing his power numbers, but have done a good job at keeping 3B warm until he proves he's worked through his issues.

12. Neil Walker - Grand Slam on opening day. That's all I have to say Chicago.

13. Scoreboard Watching! - It's so much fun to see updates on twitter and bring up Gameday. Quick, check the Cardinals score!!!

14. Marty Brennaman - I'm so glad Rumbunter.com has been all over him for his comments. The fact that Charlie Morton and the Pirates have dominated them so far *knock on wood* makes it that much sweeter.

15. Ray Searage - Kind of makes you forget about that Dave Kerwin guy. That was his name, right?

16. Kevin Correia the Winner! - Wins are the best stat to measure a pitcher by. Kevin Correia has proven that.

17. .500 No Longer the Goal - I've always wanted a championship over a .500 season and this season isn't changing that. But for a long time it seemed the city wanted .500 first, then a championship. It's great to hear conversation shift to championships rather than "The Streak".

18. You Guys! - This may be cheesey, but interacting with other Pirates fans via Twitter, Facebook, etc has been awesome win or lose. Our fanbase is filled with knowledgable, creative, and hilarious people. It's been great to share the highs of winning and the lows of losing with you guys. The passion will always be there whether The Pirates lose 100 games or win 100 games. LET'S GO BUCS!

Please feel free to add your own in the comments section below. There's defiantely way more I could've covered, but it's time to wrap this up and go to work.

No comments:

Post a Comment